Virginia online sports betting
Legal Virginia online sports betting became a reality in January 2021. On VABetting.com, you will find all of the information you need to safely enjoy sports wagering in the great state of Virginia.
- Best Virginia sports betting sites
- More VA betting sites
- Is online sports betting legal in Virginia?
- Overview of Virginia sports betting
- Popular wager types on VA betting sites
- How to bet on sports online in Virginia
- How to determine the best betting site in Virginia
- Should I wager on multiple betting sites?
- Virginia’s favorite sports to bet on
- Retail betting locations in VA
- Laws and regulations to consider when betting in VA
- Virginia sports teams to bet on
- History of VA sports betting
Best Virginia sports betting sites
- DraftKings Virginia: Best Virginia sports betting site
- BetRivers Virginia: Industry-leading platform with retail options
- FanDuel Virginia: Great mobile app suitable for beginners
- Bet365 Virginia: Huge selection of markets & live odds
- BetMGM Virginia: Elite rewards program
- Betway Virginia: Ongoing promos for existing players
- Caesars Virginia: Known for its generous welcome bonuses
More VA betting sites
Besides the top Virginia betting sites we’ve already covered, there are additional options:
Is online sports betting legal in Virginia?
Yes, the first legal sports bets were accepted in Virginia on January 21, 2021. This became possible after lawmakers approved Senate Bill 384 and House Bill 896 and April 2020. Governor Ralph Northam amended the legislation, and the legislature approved the amendments.
Overview of Virginia sports betting
|Sports betting legal since:
|Number of online betting sites:
|Number of retail sportsbooks:
|Legal age to bet:
Popular wager types on VA betting sites
For the most part, all of the legal online sports betting sites in Virginia offer the same bet types, and these are the most popular options:
- Point spread bets: A point spread is a number of points that will reflect the perceived win probability difference between the two teams. The favorite will surrender points, and the underdog will receive them. For example, if you bet on a 4.5-point favorite, you collect on the bet if they win by 5 points or more. Conversely, if you bet the underdog at +4.5, you win as long as they do not lose by more than 4 points.
- Moneyline bets: This is the simplest and most straightforward type of wager. When you place a moneyline bet, you are a winner if the team that you bet on wins the game outright, regardless of the score.
- Parlay wagers: A parlay is a combination of multiple separate bets combined into a single wager. In order to collect on the bet, all of your entries must be correct, and the payouts reflect the difficulty level.
- Teasers: Teasers are similar to parlays because they have multiple legs, but you get extra points in your favor above the point spread when you play a teaser. These wagers are offered for basketball and football.
- Futures bets: A futures wager is a bet on an outcome that will be decided at some point in the future. For example, you can place a bet on the team that will win the Super Bowl at the end of the season.
- Proposition wagers: With a proposition or prop bet, you wager on a specific outcome within a game. An example of a proposition bet would be a wager on a quarterback to throw for more than 300 yards.
- Live or in-game betting: Sportsbooks will post odds on games while they are underway, and they will be adjusted to reflect the current game situation. With live betting, you can get in on the action at any time.
How to bet on sports online in Virginia
To get started when you decide to bet on sports online, you need to choose a genuine and legitimate Virginia sportsbook and register an account. Below, we give you a step-by-step guide on how to get started:
How to determine the best betting site in Virginia
We have listed the sports betting sites in Virginia at the top of this page. All of them are licensed by the state, so you can be absolutely certain that they are legitimate. At the same time, some are better than others, and opinions can vary. With this in mind, we have listed some factors to consider when you are evaluating online sports betting operators.
Should I wager on multiple betting sites?
Since there are so many options available, you may wonder if you should stick with one site, or bet on multiple platforms. We feel as though it is definitely better to establish multiple accounts for a number of different reasons, and we list them below.
Virginia’s favorite sports to bet on
You will find a wide array of sports on the betting menu at Virginia online sports betting sites, and here is a rundown of the most popular ones:
Retail betting locations in VA
Licensed casinos in Virginia can operate retail sportsbooks at their facilities, but at the present time, there are just two casinos.
It’s important to note that retail betting locations are subject to change, and new locations may open up in the future as the Virginia gambling industry continues to grow.
Laws and regulations to consider when betting in VA
To ensure a fair and transparent industry, sports betting is governed by laws and regulations that protect both operators and consumers. Here are some important laws and regulations regarding sports betting in Virginia:
Virginia sports teams to bet on
There are no professional sports teams in the state of Virginia, and under the sports gambling legalization law, you cannot bet on Virginia college teams. However, Washington D.C. borders northern Virginia, so there is interest in teams from D.C. like:
History of VA sports betting
In Virginia, the legalization of sports betting is a recent development, and it has been met with a flurry of activity in the industry. Here is a timeline of key events in the history of sports betting in Virginia:
What are the taxes on betting winnings in Virginia?
You are required to pay federal and state income taxes if you win money gambling in Virginia. The rate of the federal income tax that you pay will depend on your overall tax situation. This applies to state-level liability as well, and the rates span from 2% to 5.75%.
Do online sports betting sites in VA require ID verification?
When you sign up at a sportsbook, you are required to enter the last four digits of your Social Security number. This is used to verify your identity and your most recently recorded location. If this checks out, there will be no further verification necessary. If it doesn’t, you will be asked to provide your state-issued ID and proof of residence in Virginia.
What payment methods can I use to bet on sports online in Virginia?
All of the operators typically accept online banking, credit and debit cards, and PayPal along with various other methods that vary depending on a given site's policies.
What is the legal age for online sports betting in Virginia?
You have to be at least 21 years of age to bet on sports in the state of Virginia.
Can I bet on college sports in Virginia?
Yes, you can bet on college sports in general, but you cannot bet on Virginia-based college games.
Who regulates online sports betting in Virginia?
The regulatory body for sports betting is the Virginia Lottery.
What is the revenue of Virginia sports betting?
In 2022, the total handle was $4.91 billion, which places the state in seventh place among states with legal sports betting.